Wednesday, May 16, 2007


Thy Servant Kirstie

One of the features of our paper is a church column, in which the various churches can briefly (250 word limit) share what they've got going on.

In summing up last Sunday's service, a Baptist minister mentioned a reading from First Samuel about Hannah.


I emailed him back saying that it was probably a good choice because half the little girls in his congregation are probably named Hannah. The trick to reaching the other half, I suggested, would be to find a biblical verse about someone named Kirstie.


His response not only made me laugh out loud but will now, for better or worse, surely pop into my head every time I hear the name:

Ecc 7:21, 22
Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy servant curse thee; For oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that thou thyself likewise hast cursed others

8 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

His response not only made me laugh out loud but will now, for better or worse, surely pop into my head every time I hear the name...

"For better or worse," eh?

Just checking back over your last four posts, Mike, I see that they are headed by two pictures of very attractive women, a painting of a softly-handsome man, and a picture of four eggs. I'm no shrink, but I wonder if you might be subtly telling us that the backwoods of Maine are so far proving to be lacking for you in some important way.

Mike said...

Why do you say Just checking back over your last four posts, Mike, I see that they are headed by two pictures of very attractive women, a painting of a softly-handsome man, and a picture of four eggs. I'm no shrink, but I wonder if you might be subtly telling us that the backwoods of Maine are so far proving to be lacking for you in some important way? Come come, elucidate!

Sherwood Harrington said...

It's spring, and I thought the young man's fancy might be lightly turning, young man, and the nesting instinct might be kicking in.

Which brings up an interesting point: since you've never mentioned a current helpmeet, I just presumed that you don't have one -- which is classically flawed logic. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, as they say.

Never mind.

Sherwood Harrington said...

... and I just whiffed on an Eliza reference, didn't I?

Double never mind.

Mike said...

... and I just whiffed on an Eliza reference, didn't I?

Does that question interest you?

Ronnie said...

It interested me. Fortunately Jed was here to bring me up to speed.

Anonymous said...

Sorry they lost the capital.
Ronnie

Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

Googling brought *me* up to speed, but i'll return to the original theme: Matt 27:14 - "And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly."

[I find it only works in the King James version.]

ruth
Governor's Inlet, SC