Sunday, November 01, 2009


Self-expression in a hard world

Daryl Cagle recently returned from a trip to the Middle East where he met with editorial cartoonists from Palestine. His take on the meeting is compelling at a moment when Israel is bulldozing Palestinian homes for having added unapproved extensions while allowing the expansion of entire settlements on the West Bank.

The central question of Cagle's blog posting is critical: How do you express rage without alienating those you need to bring to your side?

It is a question Americans should be able to relate to. At what point did the passive resistance of Martin Luther King need to be augmented by the rage of SNCC and the Panthers? At what point do feminists stop slapping stickers on offensive images and begin to sue for damages?

Daryl suggests that a more moderate voice will win support. I'm not sure. I'm in favor of rage, but I long ago learned through the Irish experience that there is a rage understood in your own community that strikes nothing but false notes in the greater world.

In any case, here are some examples of how I traced the issues of the Middle East in the years when I was publishing a weekly student feature on political cartoons. And I kind of miss those days, though I'm not sure if anyone was listening.

(Click on the images for a full-sized version.)


(December 28, 2005)

(February 1, 2006)

(November 1, 2006)

3 comments:

Peter B. Steiger said...

Hey Mike, the Cagle link is broken.

PS - believe it or not, we miss you. Sorry about the whole shooting-off-my-keyboard-about-the-news-biz-I-don't-know-anything-about thing...

Mike said...

Link is fixed.

And I'm pondering a post on the futility of on-line commentary. But another day -- believe it or not, I have some deadlines to meet!

Mark Jackson said...

I have a suspicion that a post on the futility of on-line commentary might be ineffective - but maybe that's just me. . . .