Friday, April 06, 2007

Chapter CVI
in which I say to hell with it

April 5, I woke up to discover 18 inches of snow in the front yard. And the back yard. And what in Maine they call the door-yard.

So, of course, when I came home from work, I discovered that all the snow on the roof had slid off and was piled in front of the door.

The guy who plows had just done the first 20 feet or so, enough so that I could pull off the road. I guess he saw that, with the ground no longer frozen, he was pushing up as much dirt as snow.

What this meant, aside from my having to walk back to the house in my footprints from the morning, was that nothing had been added to the snowbank at the side of the house. So, if you look to the right, you'll see that I just said to hell with it and walked around to the back porch and came in that way.

Which I will continue to do until lilacs next in the door-yard bloom.

4 comments:

ronnie said...

This post literally made me guffaw out loud. Which, since we end up sharing these snowstorms most of the time, I don't apologize for at all.

Husband and I also said "to hell with it" today - and didn't even leave the house. The shoveling can wait until tomorrow when we have errands to do.

ronnie

Sherwood Harrington said...

Oh, Mike, I'm...

hahahaHA... er... ahem...

really sorry about that snow stuff...

hohoHEEhahHEHhehHEH, hooooo boy...

really, I am. ChkOUgh. Honest.

I'd stay longer to try to offer you some further comfort, but I have to go put the rack of lamb on the grill and sweep the fallen blossoms off the deck.

Anonymous said...

"Why would anybody build a house in Maine with two -- count them, two -- roofs slanting so that they collect the snow and then slide it right off in front of the door?" - MP, March 2

Be of good cheer! As can be seen in the photo, the breakaway gutter worked as designed.

Anonymous said...

I am picturing our Droll Yankee (3/30) each fall "If that house doesn't rent before the first snowfall, he'll never find someone who doesn't notice the two roofs that dump the snow right in front of the door..."

Has the place been rented to the same tenant for 2 consecutive winters?