Wednesday, December 13, 2006


Howard gets some pets

I bought Howard some little fish the other day. The idea was that he would eat them, but he doesn't seem particularly interested in food that moves. Meanwhile, the fish immediately ducked under the pieces of slate in the tank, so I took the pieces out and that annoyed Howard, since the glass is slippery to try to walk on. So I finally put some of the slate back, the fish disappeared and Howard went back into his cave. To give you some perspective here, he is about the size of a 50 cent piece these days.

I don't know how long the fish are going to live on whatever crumbs of uneaten turtle food they can scarf up. Their main function, I suspect, will be to make it harder to clean the tank. But perhaps Howard will suddenly develop some prey drive, or maybe if they die he'll decide they are then appropriate food. Maybe little tiny snappers are only supposed to be carrion eaters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feh. Kids! You just can't satisfy them.

It'll certainly be, um, interesting, to see what happens over the next little while...

You know, in all my 41 years, when making up my Christmas list, "live prey" has not yet made the list. Maybe I need to expand my horizons.

ronnie

Mike said...

I think your kitties would appreciate that.